Faculty of Economy was established in 1952, named the High Institute of Economy. Since 1957, with the establishment of the University of Tirana, it became part of this University named the Faculty of Economy. At that time the Faculty of Economy offered only two degrees in: Economy and Accounting.
The Faculty expanded its activity over the following years and in 1990 it offered degrees in six fields: Industry Economist, Finance Economist, Political Economist, Trade Economist, Statistics and Merceology Economist. Up to the academic year 1990-1991, the study programmes of the Faculty of Economy were built based on the principles of centralized economy and were oriented to east university experiences.
Faculty of Economy is the oldest institution, which offers degrees in economics, business administration, marketing, tourism, etc. During the period 1991-2006, which coincides to the period of transformation into a market economy, Faculty of Economy was completely reorganized and restructured in terms of structure and content.
Currently, the faculty operates under the new curricula designed in accordance with the programmes of western education institutions, based on the Bologna Declaration and tailored to the specific conditions of our country, offering programs in three cycles: Bachelor, Master and PhD. Faculty of Economy is composed by 6 departments: Department of Finance, Department of Accounting, Department of Management, Department of Marketing, Department of Economics and Department of Statistics and Applied Informatics.